Monday, April 2, 2012

Living Among The Godless

I just read a poll that says Vermont and my home state of New Hampshire are the least religious states in the union. Instead of feeling despair at this bit of news, I actually feel the presence of Hope, Hope that God is sustaining whatever few of us are left in this part of the country despite the odds that surround us. It would be very easy to just give up on faith and go 'along' with the world would it not?

Though the heavy hand of violent persecution has not reached us that live for God in my remote part of the state, that knowing and deriding smile of  'How quaint, he still believes in God' shows itself more often now when others realize you still have faith in what they abandoned long ago.

I see their faces as they walk around, totally oblivious to the spiritual battles that are fought all around them, and they go merrily along their way. How nice it would be to be devoid of all worries of the state of my soul and just be concerned about how to afford the new iPod or cellphone that will save the world. Instead, I make sure my schedule is clear for the week ahead as I prepare for the Triduum...how blase is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment